IHP+ has transformed into UHC2030. You can still access the old IHP+ website and resources for now, and read about the transformation process here.
Having consensus on what constitutes a good health system assessment (HSA) and approaches to carry out HSAs jointly are important steps towards better coordination of health systems strengthening efforts and accelerating progress towards UHC.
It is well recognised that countries face challenges when varying HAS approaches with a wide range of objectives are used. This has led to a lack of comparability of results across time as each approach comes with a different set of assumptions and weighting of issues.
During multistakeholder consultations in 2016, UHC2030 partners gave broad support for a technical working group to examine the pros and cons of the various options for harmonization, and eventually develop the options chosen. In addition, several UHC2030 partners have expressed the need to discuss and develop common benchmarking for health system performance assessment.
Discussions leading to establishing UHC2030 made a clear call to form a UHC 2030 technical working group to further elaborate on:
1) the specifics of HSA harmonization and alignment
2) a common understanding of measuring health systems performance towards UHC.
The overall aim of the technical working group will be to have an overview of options for doing a HSA, with guidance on how to undertake country-led and country tailored processes.
Activities could include:
- Examine all relevant, existing tools and approaches on health systems assessments
- Examine the pros and cons of the various options for harmonization
- Agree on what should be a HSA in the SDG era, with a view to what is needed to progress towards UHC
- Come to a consensus on how to better harmonize the different approaches, where feasible
- Agree upon a country led process that can lead to a harmonized approach for conducting the assessments at country level, given the differing needs and objectives of each specific context, as well as the objective of lowering transaction costs from a MoH and Government perspective.
The technical working group is being established. List forthcoming.
Working Group Terms of Reference
Meeting notes for the record
Video/audio conference on 2 August 2017
For further information or to express interest in joining the group please contact:
Dheepa Rajan, WHO, firstname.lastname@example.org
World Bank, tbc